Wednesday 24 February 2016

Margot Pyjama Bottoms & a Nautical Coco...


                    
    








I decided I needed a new pair of pyjama bottoms, as all of mine had holes in, so I thought the Margot pattern from Tilly's book 'Love at first stitch' would be a perfect pattern for me to try since its aimed at beginners.
I got given 'Love at first stitch' as a christmas gift and up until now, I've been too busy with the children to have a good look at it, but I've definitely got my 'sew-jo' back since doing my Coco dress workshop! 
I decided to use an old bedsheet for the fabric to make the margot bottoms, as i didnt want to buy fabric especially for this just incase I didnt make it so well, but as its such an easy make I will definitely be buying some funky fabric to make some more! To be honest, I've always liked having lots of pyjamas, so I'm pretty sure I'll be making a pair for every day of the week.
Tilly's instructions are very clear and easy for you to understand, and as I'm a visual learner, I'm grateful for all of the pictures too! I particularly liked her advice for when sewing the crotch, to turn one leg the right way out and put it inside the other leg, genius! 
I only had black ribbon available for the drawstring, and didn't want to make it from the same fabric, but when i get some more fabric, I will be changing it.
This was such an easy make, it probably took me 90 mins from start to finish, and I'm very proud of my first pair of me-made pyjama bottoms!


               
 
I also made another coco. Although I made on on the workshop, and I'm very proud of it, I probably won't wear it all that much because I find it a bit short after my hemming disaster, and also the colours aren't usually what I'd wear. I love Breton stripes, and anything slightly Mariniére/nautical, and I saw the most lovely fabric in Guthrie and Ghanie, it's a jersey, navy blue with white stripes, and the stripes are sort of ribbed. I just envisaged a coco in this fabric, so I bought it! 


                 
 
I didn't refer to the instructions once, and I didn't have to use my seam ripper at all! Hurrah! And it only took me 2 hours to construct it all. The last coco I made, I cut a straight size 4, and to be honest, it was a little big on my waist and didn't do anything for my silhouette, so this time, I still cut a four, but before I sewed up the sides, I decided to put it on me and pin it to my shape, which worked really well, it's now a very flattering shape. I ended up taking about 1.5" out on either side. I can see me wearing this dress a lot, it'll be nice when the weather warms up too with some sandals or pumps. 


                 
 
I've really got the sewing bug now, my beautiful chambray and Bettine pattern is just waiting for me to find some time to make it, I can't wait! 
There are so many patterns I want to try out at the moment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment